Celebrating Great Films


Thursday, January 18, 2024

Oppenheimer

#73 at the time of writing.

Good and only slightly overblown biopic that turned out to be as much about political fallout (pun intended) than the construction of the bomb. The layered script emphasised to me how smart and yet how childish the scientists behind nuclear technology were - as, indeed, are we all. Glad I saw it at the cinema, not sure I’d have the patience for it otherwise. Nevertheless, it seems to be the hot Oscars pick for Best Picture this year.

But, real talk, I have been loving the Barbenheimer memes. In case you missed it, the Internet has been obsessing with the above two films released on the same day that could not be more tonally opposed. I did it - I watched them back-to-back as a double feature - which basically amounted to a six-hour existential crisis. I'm afraid there's no particular benefit to watching them together, but nevertheless I enjoyed the ride.

(Credit to JustRalphy for the Barbenheimer image.)

No comments:

Post a Comment